Sunday 20 January 2013

Impartial views are a lie, there is only bias


It is an interesting concept, how no writer emerges in a world free from the bias that surrounds Writers. I would like to believe that my style of writing is original and not influenced by anyone but myself, I know this a lie. Everything about my life has shaped me into the writer I am today.

In the first Author Study class of 2013 it was discussed how perceptions of writers shape our views of their work and how writing for any audience will affect how we write. Writing something with the knowledge that other people will see it impacts a piece of work considerably. Would you view the work of a rapist in the same light as an Olympic Athlete?

I have learned that Emily Dickinson wrote the majority of her life’s work with the intention that only her sister in law Susan (and suspected love interest) would ever see it. Our lecturer stated that she wished for her work to be destroyed following her death as again she didn't want anyone else reading it.

Even when writing this blog I find myself thinking and writing in a style very different from what I would if it were for my eyes only, rewriting sentences a number of times in order to communicate my intended message to anyone who might be reading.

After reading this blog consider this, just how much does your bias affect you when it comes to writing?



No comments:

Post a Comment